I know I’m (extremely) late to the Friday Night Lights fandom, but after months and months of hearing what a great show it was (and The Mister’s Netflix Instant account), I decided to jump in and give the show a shot. Three weeks, 22 episodes, a reclaimed southern accent, and a box of tissues later, here’s what I learned from Coach Taylor and the Dillon Panthers (spoilers ahead).
- It just takes one bad tackle to change your entire life. It doesn’t mean you give up, you just start down a new road. Ask Jason Street.
- Perfect love isn’t perfect. It’s messy, it’s impatient, it doesn’t always agree, and it’s frustrating. It’s also respectful, supportive, and strong. See: Eric and Tammy Taylor
- Forgiveness isn’t a sign of weakness. But it still doesn’t excuse your best friend from sleeping with your girlfriend when you’re in a rehab facility adjusting to being paralyzed.
- When you’re kidnapped in the middle of the night by the Rally Girls, don’t get shirtless in a hot tub with them. Especially don’t let them take photographs, and if you do, don’t lie to your girlfriend about it.
- The easy thing and the right thing usually aren’t the same thing. Listen to your gut and you’ll know the right path to choose.
- Sometimes all it takes is a little imagination and a lot of hard work to turn a cow pasture into a football field.
- The people who bring life’s greatest disappointments are often the ones we care about the most. However, they also bring life’s greatest joys, so care anyways.
- If you don’t make it clear that you consider an outing a date, don’t be surprised when she brings along her mom and her sister.
- Give people the benefit of doubt. Like Tammy told Julie, you don’t always know what’s going on in someone’s life. And if you’re worried about someone? Speak up. They may be mad at you at first, but even Tyra was able to eventually forgive.
- You may not win them all, but you will still come out on top. Life is easier though when other people believe in you as much as you believe in yourself.
Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can’t lose.
What did you learn from the first season of Friday Night Lights? Leave your life lessons in the comments below.
- Why Friday Night Lights is one of the best US shows of recent years (guardian.co.uk)